Tuesday 20 September 2011

Cheapskate Tuesday Returns!

Yes! It's back! I'm back on track enough to hope that maybe, just maybe, I will have some kind of blog plan that I can stick to from now on!

Phase one of my plan is to bring back Cheapskate Tuesday, and while I may play with the format a little the idea is still the same.

So today, a little bit of this, a little bit of that, but most definitely some ideas to help you cheapskate your way through life, without giving up on everything you love.

Recipe

I think I promised this one months ago.... or at least I promised my friend I would give it to her - so if you are reading this, dear friend of mine, I told you I'd get it to you, right? Right.

Chorizo Pasta Bake

300g penne pasta
1 sliced chorizo sausage
3 chopped bacon rashers
1 finely chopped red onion
1 thinly sliced red capsicum
1 jar of your favourite tomato pasta sauce
300ml cream
a handful of shredded cheese

~~~

Cook pasta until al dente. Drain.
Heat oil in pan, fry off chorizo, bacon, onion and capsicum until onion is soft.
Combine pasta sauce and cream in a large bowl. Add pasta and chorizo mix.
Pour into a large baking dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Cook for 20 minutes at 180C until cheese is melted.
Serve with garlic bread and green salad.

My family literally go nuts over this. It's one of the few dishes that everyone eats without complaint, even down to the toddler. Which is perfect after discovering I have one of the fussiest. toddlers. on. earth. I refuse to give in, so foods like this are my dinnertime saviour.

Cleaning

We all know lots of these, but it's simple things that keep the grocery bill down.

My #1 tip is vinegar, water and a teeny weeny dash of detergent in a spray bottle. I have another one which is just vinegar and water for timber (we have an oiled teak table) and mirrors.

I use old towels, flannels and tea towels cut up for rags, and old cotton tshirts for mirrors and dusting cloths. WonderMan uses the nylon bags onions are packed in for a fabulous scourer that doesn't scratch any of our dishes, including our non stick pans.

Use the hottest water you can stand to wash your dishes, and less detergent. If you are lucky enough to have a dishwasher, I salute you oh fabulous one!

Decorating

Use anything you already have that is unused or taking up space as storage. I use the now empty cot as a blanket box, which means they are in easy reach on a chilly night or when we have visitors. It also fits our swags which drive me bonkers squashed under our bed.

Clear bench tops and put something pretty on them to deter clutter buildup, and create a focal point. I have a basket with a red bowl inside it to create colour in my kitchen, but it also doubles as my fruit basket. Useful, pretty, and cheap!

Just stuff

If you are like me, you have stuff you want to get rid of, but it's too good to throw away, and not worth the effort and time listing it on eBay. I'm getting together with my mum, friends and aunties, and holding a combined garage sale. Which makes us back a little bit of change for all those things that are building up in boxes.

Move often. Or at least pretend to. It stops the build up of little cheap things that waste money, and get thrown out not long after they arrive home. I declutter by deciding what things really need to be packed, and what I wouldn't bother with. I also use this test for things I want to buy, so I know if it's worth the cash I'm handing over.

Oh, and if you want to save time and money in the laundry, always wear an apron while cooking or doing the housework, there will be so many less clothes to wash!

Hubby may even offer to help!

Your ideas are always welcome! Just post a comment below or send me some mail at glitterbug01@dodo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my world go round!