Thursday 3 May 2012

Thankful Thursday - Schools Week

Today I received an email from Tiger's teacher.

I always wonder what I'm going to find when I open one of these, considering the first few weeks at school which were a pretty big struggle.

But this message made my day.

Not because of what happened, but because of what was done.

Apparently, during PE class today another girl said some pretty rude things to Tiger.

This made my heart break a little, because there's always that lioness inside you waiting to pounce on any unsuspecting human who upsets your cub. It's a normal reaction.

And I didn't find out about this after school when a note came home, or in a week when she finally breaks down and cries on my shoulder about it.

I found out within the hour. 

And in that hour the whole incident was dealt with and everyone was happy.

The teacher and the principal immediately spoke to the girl involved, and Tiger, and an admission and apology were delivered. 

 Everyone made sure  that she was feeling okay, that she was happy with the process and the outcome, especially considering this girl has bullied Tiger before.

I was absolutely blown away.

They did everything possible to make sure my little girl felt safe, secure, and happy after a bad situation.

I even got a teensy bit emotional when I received a follow up email after lunch, to say the school counsellor had caught up with Tiger in the yard and reported she was happy and secure.

For my anxious girl this is major.

I cannot say thank you to all the staff involved enough. I will be writing them a letter just to say how much their actions mean to me, and my daughter.

When she came home today I let Tiger know I had been told about an incident, and that it was all sorted out. She was happy and bright, and said "Mum, they made me feel great, and I don't feel angry, we all say stupid stuff sometimes". 

I don't know what was said, and I don't expect her to tell me, because I know she's okay.

We have never seen this level of care and commitment to the physical, mental and social happiness of our children.

There are a lot of schools who could learn by their example. 

And it's one more example that tells me we have come to the right place.

This is where we are meant to be, this is where our happiness begins.

And I am so thankful.


I'm linked up with Kate Says Stuff for Thankful Thursday.

You can also read a fantastic post by Denyse Whelan - here - saying thanks to our teachers and schools who are making our children's future brighter.

8 comments:

  1. So pleased for you lovely... doesn't it make your heart sing when they get it right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It was a happy tears kind of day :'D

      Delete
  2. That's just wonderful. Teachers have a thankless job a lot of the time, and when they not only do a good job but go above and beyond - it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do receive a lot of flak, but most teachers do a fabulous job, and I'm happy to spread the word :)

      Delete
  3. That is such a beautiful post. A totally perfect scenario for your child... Yourself ...the school's leadership & staff. The fact is kids are always going to have something said to them that will hurt and or go further into a full on bullying scenario but here it was dealt with to everyone's satisfaction.
    Such a good news way to end my Schools' Week posts... Shall link my Friday's summary back here too.
    Thanks Natalie for the shout out and for connecting
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Denyse!

      I was taught that people will tell ten people about a bad experience, and one about a good one, so I try to turn that around and keep my bad experiences close and learn from them, and spread my good news stories.

      I've had a number of friends reply that they love hearing the fabulous feedback I've given about the school, as they will have children attending in the next few years.

      Thanks for the linky :)

      Delete
  4. I had tears in my eyes as I read this, happy tears that is. That is just great how the school handled it and even let you know it happened and was resolved. The resolved part of the whole thing is the best part!
    Definitely write a letter to let everyone know how much you appreciated it all. It's times like this that let the teachers, counselors and school staff know that they are appreciated and they are doing well.
    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be delivering a letter this week, I want them to know just how much it means to us. There are always going to be issues, but the handling of them is where they stand out from the crowd. It's wonderful :)

      Delete

Comments make my world go round!