Sunday 24 November 2013

Christmas - Y U Make Everyone Crazy?

Every year I hope for... something better. Mostly that people will burn their arsehole gene along with their yule log and maybe just once I won't be left feeling like I am just not worth anybody's time.

Woolworths has earned my wrath already for playing dreary carols in between really bad eighties one hit wonders. 

The local Subway shop had it's decorations up in October. Defying even the reasoning of "They get them up early to get people buying early" because, really, who the hell buys presents at Subway? The Penguin stickers are already peeling, just like my rapidly fading good cheer.

I would like, for the first time ever, to take a holiday over Christmas, with my family. Without it causing family row #447.

So I give up on it because it's all just too hurtful and then, of course, I must endure the obligatory guilt trip with the weight of a thousand elephants because I'm being SO FUCKING TERRIBLE to my parents by wanting to not spend my only time off depressed and miserable and living in everyone else's shadow. 

And all around me people are slapping on their fake smiles, hurling awful tinsel everywhere and pretending Christmas is about JOY and LOVE.

I know lots of you feel the same way. Why does it all have to be so hard? Why can't those around us just pull their heads out of their butts for a teeny weeny second?

I don't know. I've never had the answer, but I'm like a dog whose owner latched the doggy door - I just keep trying, banging my head and wasting time better spent sleeping in the sunshine. 

All I can tell you is that Christmas is a holiday engineered to remind you why you moved so damn far away, just in case you forget.

And the sky won't fall in if you spend it at home. I promise.


1 comment:

  1. You've hit the nail on the head. Same here with my mother hounding me for fucking years to do the family xmas shit. Selfish old cow. You do what you want for your kiddies. Don't feel obligated to do what other people want. Your life is too short and you'll regret it later. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my world go round!