Monday 21 March 2011

Rainy days and biscuit dough...

It's raining today...

And I've been in the kitchen baking Anzac biscuits, with Frog helping. As soon as I said the word "bikkies" she wanted one.... so I thought I would teach her a little lesson in patience and get her to help me bake.

Silly mummy....

So we pulled up a kitchen chair and she climbed up to help mummy. Happily mixing the flour, sugar, coconut and oats while I melted the butter and golden syrup. In fact... she didn't really make a mess, which suprised me after some of the afternoons I spent with Tiger at this age, vacuuming the benches, floor and walls that would end up covered in flour!

We eventually got the mixture together and I turned away to get my baking trays.... which is when WonderMan started giggling....
Frog has discovered the joys of biscuit dough. Apparently she was watching me sideways and grinning at her daddy while eating it off the spoon she was supposed to be mixing with. Yet every time I turned back she was happily mixing the dough!

She's a crafty little kid.... 

WonderMan is at home today due to a self inflicted injury. We will be heading up to the hospital today to see if he has managed to fracture any of the small bones in his hand. His fingers are lovely shades of purple and blue, and he's feeling pretty sorry for himself!

I don't have much sympathy because he shouldn't be a git, but....

At least he has finally admitted there's a problem, and he needs help. A man can only hold in so much grief before things start to go wrong.... and I have been waiting for this moment for a long time. So maybe a fractured hand is a good thing if it kicks his butt before he goes any further downhill.

Tiger spent two hours this morning not getting ready for school. But instead of my usual agonised bawling because my child just won't do what she is told, I just let her do her thing. And then told her she had to drop everything and be at school in two minutes. She wasn't a happy camper, and neither was I but at least I've stopped myself dropping dead of a stress induced heart attack....

And it's still raining...

So it looks like hot chocolates and a trip to the library to borrow some more documentaries (am I the only one who would prefer to watch David Attenborough or a Poirot episode more than any blockbuster movie ever made?)

And plenty more baking, because nothing says "I'm home" more than a warm kitchen on a rainy day...

Right now what we all need is "home", where there is something safe to hold onto... while we try and get this family back to living life, instead of just making it through.

2 comments:

  1. A warm kitchen on a rainy day! I can smell the baking from here. And who doesn't love eating cookie dough, that was always the best part about baking as a kid, being able to lick the bowl and spoon clean afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember licking the beaters after mum whipped cream.... she actually has a photo of us fighting over the beaters...... taken LAST YEAR. She always told me she only had two children so they would always have a beater each..... I have followed that advice and so far it's working!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my world go round!